all-caps-comments.pngYou guys know what I mean. If you get an email all in CAPS, then you know it was written by a novice. If you get a blog comment written in all CAPS, you know it was written by a novice or written to show some form of expression.

I just never get the reasoning behind the all caps writing style.

Is it that some people just have their caps locks key stuck? Is it that some people think you are more likely to read their email if it is all in caps? Is it because people like the style of all caps? What is it?

1. CAP MAN

I LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS AND ALSO IT ALWAYS STAND OUT

DO U HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT

2. Jeuli

Indeed your insuferable notion that you’ll stand out any more then a normal person when TYPING IN ALL CAPS is false. More often then not the person for whom the message was intended will be annoyed at your inability to think them intelligent enough to desifer a message of the normal standard. At least, thats my take.

Cheers,
    Jeuli

3. Nokay

It doesn’t flow properly, and destroys the sense of meaning in written text.

Terrible punctuation and spelling usually go hand-in-hand with typing in caps. This has led me to believe that Only people with low IQs do it…

4. Nigel

People normally interpret all-caps as more aggressive or even as something being yelled. When someone limits themselves to all caps they lose a degree of inflection as they can no longer show distinction between standard dialogue and yelling. It’s a bit pathetic that people don’t realize how much they limit themselves and the fact that they make an ass out of themselves almost universally.

5. Maddie

I don’t know it’s odd, my aunt types everything in all CAPS she’s 33, I’m 15 and I have better grammar then her. When she types like this she will be writing a normal message, or post. update, basically anything… ex: “HELLO HOW ARE YOU AND THE KIDS? HAHA I KNOW BLAH BLAH. YES IM FINE, GOIN TO MY NEW JOB WISH ME LUCK”. Oh my god it’s so annoying….

6. DARRYL

TYPING IN CAPS SAVES TIME! GOING BACK AND FORTH IS A WASTE OF TIME. AS LONG AS YOU ARE BEING ASSERTIVE, IT SHOULDN’T MATTER. IF SOMEONE DOESN’T LIKE IT–TALK TO ME ABOUT IT. BUT BEING IMMATURE AND NAME CALLING ONLY SHOWS THAT IT IS YOU THAT HAS THE PROBLEM! SO DEAL WITH IT…LOL!

7. Dave

If the reason for typing in all caps is just lazy or it saves time, then why not type in all lower case? There are far more letters that don’t need to be capitalized in a sentence than there are that need to be. Personally, I base my opinion of the person’s intelligence on their grammar and punctuation, including proper capitalization. If you don’t mind going through life being considered an idiot by the majority of the people you interact with online, then so be it.

8. Isabell

I believe that people who type in all caps it has alot do with their personalities. I have a friend who types in all caps and in all honestly she has got to be the most aggressive, over bearing, and annoying person I know. Therefore when she text me in all caps, its like saying “hello!!! Its me, its all about me!!! In your face, like it or not!!!” she is like this in person and in text and its too much personality for me.

9. Isabell

10. dm

There’s a lot of older ladies on Facebook that claim they type in ALL CAPS because it is easier for them to see. I’ve told them to make their browser’s fonts larger, but to no avail. And then ten of their friends jump on your @$$ for not allowing them their freedom of expression. Grrr!