Eye FloatersStarting a few weeks ago, I started noticing a floater in my right eye. It was extremely annoying. It is tiny and most of the time I don’t notice it. But as I type, I am noticing it, because it is against a white background.

It looks like a transparent grayish tiny dot on the page. Sometimes I play with it, by scrolling my eyes left and right, to watch the floater “float” across the screen or the sky.

I have read a lot of material on it since I have seen it. Most cases say that they are harmless, in most cases. The Mayo Clinic writes:

Most of the interior of your eye is filled with vitreous, a clear, jelly-like substance. Eye floaters are small bits of debris floating in the vitreous. They may appear as spots, hair or bits of string that dart into your field of vision. Although they can be bothersome, eye floaters in your eye are usually not a serious problem and don’t require treatment. Most people learn to ignore them.

Now, not all floaters are harmless. They recommend that you see an eye doctor if you see an “increase in floaters, especially if associated with flashing lights or hazy vision.” That may be a sign of a Retinal Detachment, which is not fun.

Can they be treated? Dr. Bill Lloyd’s Make My Floaters Disappear at WebMD says no! They may go away by themselves, overtime. But treatment simply doesn’t work, even-though there are plenty of treatments advertised.

Speaking of eyes problems… I feel so bad for Ian… He has apparently lost his eye sight. His dry eyes scratched off some of his skin from his eye ball, when he woke up. He said this one is a serious problem and he is hoping it heals itself, but is obviously concerned. I hope it works out Ian, sounds very scary.

1. MattC

Thank you so much for blogging about this random topic. I have seen these things for a long time now but never really knew how to look it up. Wow, you just made my day except now i gotta obsess on whether im gonna go blind or not.

And now I gotta figure out what it means when I see very little spherical particles.. almost like atoms floating around. Almost like in the first willy wonka when they send the kid through the TV set – just very small.

2. Hawaii SEO

My wife as a retinal detachment. She had laser surgery to reattach it. It affected her peripheral vision a bit. It was noticeable at first but not any more. The doctor said she was in danger of going blind in that eye if she hadn’t gotten treatment when she did.

We are now very careful around her face. She would likely need surgery again if she were to accidentally get hit in the face with a ball or something like that.

3. Peter

I’d just like to add to this discussion if that’s ok, being somewhat of an expert on the subject. I never used to know what floaters were, or ever think about them. Then just a couple of weeks after my 27th birthday, very suddenly and for no particular reason, I got A LOT of them. These things have really ruined my quality of life. True, they don’t hurt and they won’t kill you. But they can really mess with your mind and make you very depressed. I can see the largest of my floaters in almost every kind of light, including indoors at night! I can even see it through my eye lids. It’s impossible to escape, in that, I can never look away from it, because it follows the movement of my eyes! Going out into bright daylight is like immersing myself in a snowglobe of microscopic debris resembling tadpoles, cobwebs and fish eggs. It’s truly disturbing; a horrible reality to be faced with.

Can they be treated? The “official” answer is no, but the truth is yes. Eye floaters can be treated in 3 ways:

1) You wait for the gel inside your eyes to naturally liquify further in the hope that your floaters will move away from your retina, with the freedom to sink lower down to the bottom of your eye.

2) You get laser treatment, whereby a surgeon attempts to break up and obliterate your floaters by firing shots at them with a laser beam.

3) You get a Floater Only Vitrectomy (FOV), a major operation whereby most of the gel (vitreous humour) is sucked out of your eyes. This treatment REALLY does get rid of the floaters, but at the risk of introducing alternative eye problems.

4. betty bandel

I have visited dozens of web sites about floaters. very few have even one picture of a floater. just talk talk talk. I want to see some pictures to see if what I have is a normal floater or something that needs to be removed.
    there are two things that are similar in shape; like the fram of a kite. They are dark black and not tranparent like other stringy floaters

5. Mark

There’s a doctor in Falls Church, Virginia, who treats floaters with laser. His success rate with this kind of treatment is 92% and basically there are no risks associated with the procedure. Most insurance companies will authorize this procedure. Mine doesn’t even require authorization. It’s worth checking his website out. I learned about him by searching the web. I came across an article on USA Today, I believe, about him. His name is John Karichhoff and his website is http://www.eyefloaters.com/. I’ve done some research on him and only found good review.

6. Tom

I have a lot of experience with floaters, being an eye doctor.

As mentioned here, floaters are caused by microscopic debris inside the eye that casts shadows on the the retina … which are seen as little specks in your vision.

There is no good treatment for these things, as all of the treatments are much riskier then leaving them alone. A vitrectomy (surgery to remove the jelly in the back part of your eye) puts you at risk for sight-threatening infection and retinal detachment. Laser therapy to “explode” the particals is risky as well, as putting unneeded engery into the eye creates shockwaves and heat into the eye that can contract the vitreous jelly and put you at risk for retinal detachment.

Here’s an interesting video on what these floaters look like: floater video.

As annoying as those floaters are, its better just to leave them. They will fade with time as they float forward and the shadow they cast become lest distinct.

7. Mark

I wrote some comments here on 12/18/2007 before I was treated with laser for eye floaters. On January 11, 2008, I had my left eye treated for floaters. After checking my eye, Dr. Karickhoff determined that my case was a little bit difficult to treat because my floate was way in the back. He told me that treatment in my particular case was 0 to 80% success rate and that I would run the risk of having smaller more noticeable floaters, if they went further back. I decided to go with the procedure anyway, since the big floater I had was very distractive, especially when reading and using the computer. It’s been less than a month now since I had the procedure done and I would rate the success of the procedure to be 90%. I’m very happy with the results. He wasn’t able to completely eliminate my floater, but it’s become far less noticeable. As I’m tying this note, for example, I don’t see any floaters on the screen. When I’m reading, I don’t see any floaters. Usually in the evenings and most of the day, I don’t see any floaters anymore. The only times I see some floaters now are when I look at a very bright light or on a very sunny day, but the floaters are still far less noticeable than the big one I had before and I can easily ignore them. Sunglasses make them even less noticeable and even invisible.

I’m very happy with the results of the procedure. As I was waiting in the waiting room of Dr. Karichhoff’s office for my first visit (I live 30 minutes from his office), I noticed that his patients are people who have been seeing him for many years. I consider this treatment a blessing and I hope others will benefit from this procedure as well.

8. alain

i have like four floater in my left eye the are transparent but my doctor said is not sirious and he said that my floaters will disappear but i don´t know how many months it need to be gone.

9. Murtaza Ghulam

Dear Mark,

Did you have any other symptoms, i.e. flashes, ghosting, visual snow, etc. with your floaters? Was there any effect to these symptoms after the laser treatment from Dr.John?

10. Joey

FYI,

I have had vitreous floaters for about the past 3 years. After reading about YAG laser and vitrectomy treaments I decided to go see Dr. X in Fort Myers, FL. It turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life. I arrived in Dr. X’s office on a Monday. I had a complete eye exam, well if that what you call it with this practice?? Well, I knew that I was in trouble when the eye technician could not even get a pressure reading on my left eye. She tried for about 30 minutes and finally had to get another tech to get my eye pressure. I spoke to Dr. X and we discussed my floater issues and he explained that the cost was $1600.00 per eye. After dilating my pupils and determining that the floaters were far more prominent in my left eye, we decided to move forward with treating the left eye. After paying the $1600.00 I proceeded to have the YAG laser treatment. During and right after the treament the patient is not able to notice any floaters because of the pupil dilation. However, the following day I noticed that my floaters were still there and had just been moved around.

11. Joey

I had 2 more treatments of my left eye on Tuesday and Wednesday and again after the pupils returned to normal, I could see that the floaters were still there. What made it even worse is that now my brain has to get adjusted to the new location of the floaters. Sucks!! I am going to see an retinal specialist on Monday to check for PVD. It is quite possible that this Quack Doctor damage my left far worse that it was before the laser treatment. The only smart thing I did during my visit was I didn’t let this stupid Phuk treat my right eye. All, please take my advice and don’t get the YAG laser treatment for floaters. There were 4 other patients there during my visit and 3 out of 4 were unsuccessful in the treatment of their floaters. DON’T GO SEE DR. X IN FT. MEYERS. IT’S A SCAM… Most unprofessional practice I have ever in my entire life..

12. Murtaza Ghulam

Dear Joey,
    Thanks for providing the above information. I also belive that this treatment is not as effective as people think. However, I want to know that was there any effect on your symptoms after the treatment?
    May I know what type pf visual symptoms you have?

13. Lore

Dear Joey,
    I went to see this Dr in Fort Myers about a month ago, but didn’t get the laser yet ,I am concerned about the efectiveness of this treatment now. Did the laser made your floaters worst or they remained the same?

14. Gabriel

I have that problem, but I am not sure whether or not it’s caused by floaters.
    When I look in a blue sky or an opaque colour I tend to literally visualise millions of small coloured dots, there are literally millions of them moving around randomly very life like. This has been going on for as long as I have memory.

15. Michael

In early June I had a minor bicycle accident and hit my head. This caused a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) which created two large floaters in my right eye. One floater was a big black ring, known as a weiss ring. The second floater was a rather large “cobweb”. I went to see Dr. K in Viginia to see if he could use the laser on my floaters. He said the cobweb was too close to the lens, but he could do the weiss ring. He completely removed the ring from my eye. So for certain types of floaters located in the right place it can help.

16. Barbara

Hello: I am looking to get laser for the floaters; i am 47 and this started about a year ago. I do want to get rid of them; this has been a strange way to see; i am starting to get used to them but hope to get rid of the floaters. I have a large weiss ring too. Does the laser actually get rid of the large floaters? Thanks for any advice please email me.

17. Mary Orr

I went to see Dr. K in Virginia last Dec 2007 and he could do nothing for me. He diagnosed me as having a Weiss Ring with Snow Globe effect. He said he could take care of the Weiss Ring but that 80% of my functional problem was being caused by the floater that was below the lens and moving all the time. Evidently the laser is not effective in treating moving targets. I already have a PVD in that eye. The eye doctors discourage a Vitrectomy because of its associated risks of infection. According to one doctor cataract surgery in that eye is a guarantee within one year of the Vitrectomy. Not good news! I’ve been living with this debilitating eye floater problem for nearly three years and would just about do anything to get rid of it. However, I do not want to make a bad situation worse! One eye doctor told me that in about five years there will be eye drops for floater problems. This means that somewhere someone is doing laboratory research with animal studies to find a less invasive solution to eye floater problems. That work is probably being done outside this country. If anyone knows about such work please let me know.

Mary

18. BGIAHS

The DR in VA is the better one. There are 3 DRs in the USA that perform the laser surgery, and the one in VA is better because he will only treat you if your are treatable. Do not go to FL office. They will treat whoever – buyer beware. What does treatable mean? Well, the location, size and reason for the floater. If it is too close to your retina or lens they won’t treat you because the laser could damage those areas. They just want to explode the floater, not your retina. If you are young (ie under 30) and have floaters, vitrectomy could be a decent option. Also, the fact that you would only be treated for floaters and not other stuff would help with the side effects. Do not let them use gas inside your eye if you choose vitrectomy, as that is linked to a very high rate of post vit. cataracts. They might move, and they might go away, but if you are solutions oriented and want to just know there is a solution out there for peace of mind, there is! Sometimes just knowing we have options helps us cope enough that we don’t have to use them.

19. Dave

I saw Dr. Karickhoff in May of 2008. He treated my left eye three times in three days. The Dr. evaluated my situation and because of the location of the floaters thought I was a good candidate for his procedure. While I initially thought the treatments were successful, once the dilation ended the floaters remained basically unchanged. Insurance covered my travel and the cost of the treatments and I dont think it worsened my floaters, but I would say dont get your hopes up. There is a reason that only two physicians in the US do this procedure and it’s not because of the inavailablity of the right type of laser…it’s because it does not work reliably.

20. debbie

I cannot believe that there is nothing to be done about a weiss ring. Heart transplants, cloning, but no treatment for PVD. I would hope that proper diet and vitamins would help with this problem. There is a great natural health dr, DrJamesWiner.com, he heals the body naturally. On radio,you can call in with question. Give him a call and see what he has to say about your situation. Or you can visit his web page.

21. Barbara Lassahn

Hi: What does a Weiss Ring look like? I have a bubble but that apparently is my cataract; i am getting cataract surgery. Thanks for helping me out. This is Barbara. I do have the floaters and did get laser in PA a new doctor does them in PA. It helped alot and can’t wait to get back to the treatment. I am able to go outside without them bothering me since the first laser treatment. I got the Argon laser and did not get any new floaters; mine are white strands with circles attached to them. Am kind of getting more used to them but wished they would find a drug to dissolve them safely. I have a lot friends who have them and did not know that they did. Has anyone heard of any drug or research on floaters yet? Thanks; Barbara.

22. Nisha

hi,
    I am only 27 years of age and had a hole in my eye which my optermitist said nothing to worry about. After few months that hole became a detached retina (Right eye) and my doctor had nothing to say. She told me that hole is all stable and there is nothing to worry about. Well, i got the retinal detachment surgery done in oct 08. I got the gas bubble and a buckle place in my eye! After the gas bubble went away i got cataract in the right eye. I got the cataract surgery done hoping my vision will be better and still now i cant see well my vision is blurry. My doc says that there a Yag procedure that needs to be perfrom to remove the clodyness. has anyone experienced this problem?? Does the vision get better after YAG procedure???

On my left eye i had a hole. I got laser done last week and since then i notice more floaters tiny block dots..is this something to worry about?? I think that hole is sealed so why do i see moree floaters are there more holes ?? I am soo worrried. Please HELP

23. Murtaza

hi nisha,
    I would recommend go and visit a retina specialisit in your area and take a second opinion.
    I read at different blogs that after laser surgeiries chances are that floaters increase but that does not mean you a new hole.
    Visit a retina specialist.
    All the best.

24. hi

I woke up this morning and i had 2 floaters in my right eye i am 26, at firs i thought it would go away but i have been up for 4 hrs. and its still there. It is pretty annoying and i looked online to find that i am not alone many people have them. Then i talked to my mom about it and she knew exactly what i was talking about. She said my dad used to get them in both eyes and she has got them before also she said they do go away, so i am not going to worry about it. No one is 100 percent healthy all the time. I guess i will just wait for it to go away.

25. Jose

I have eye floaters(worst in one eye)

I think the best treatment for them is still not available.

Yag Laser as Vitrectomy were not originally created to resolve Floaters but other eye problems.

I think the best treatment in the future will be a pill that somehow dissolve the floaters(perfect) or an selective minimal invasive needle that suck just the floaters.(at least the biggest ones).

Anyone free to discuss with me their stories and knowledge.

suezlife@otmail.com

26. Jose

I have eye floaters(worst in one eye)

I think the best treatment for them is still not available.

Anyone free to discuss with me their stories and knowledge.

suezlife@otmail.com

27. Aaron

I have had floaters as long as I can remember, and they’re almost always in my left eye. Usually I can only see them when I have my eyes closed, but sometimes I see them randomly. They’re kind of medium sized, and I haven’t wen’t for treatment or anything because I figure its just one of those normal floaters. They are annoying though.

28. Daniel

I hope in future someone good will find a cure for these floaters risk free, like a drug…

Imagine Seeing clearly again, seeing the world in a more better perspective… soon ! people pray with me that there will be a cure for Eye floaters someday…

29. Aj

does the VA doctor still treats floaters if so pls give me his adress. cuz ma floaters r annoying and i have had floaters since 1999 and never go it away .. pls sent me his adress or give me his business number ….. Thank you everyone ….

30. Aj

31. BS

I’ve been seeing floaters for a month now.. it’s really annoying.. I have one in each of the eye. It’s somewhat like a very thin bended rectangle. Is it serious?