WeatherSo the winter has finally arrived, with it being 39 degrees here in Suffern, NY.

I have been asking people in the community what they set their heat at. Most were proud to give answers such as, no higher than 68, 69, etc. But one person shocked me by saying a crisp 65 degrees. Why? Heat and electric can cost several hundred per month.

Every house has its own temperature. It depends on how well insulated the house is, how big it is, the type of windows, siding, etc. So each house needs to find their own comfort level. My question to you, and I have provided a poll below to find out your answer, what do you set your heat at in the winter months?

1. Adam Snider

I personally like to keep my place a bit cooler than most people. This bothered my ex-girlfriend, when we were living together, because she is one of those people who seems to be constantly cold, no matter how warm it is.

I tend to keep my temperature around 19-20 Celsius, which is a bit below room temperature. In Fahrenheit, this is about 66-69 degrees.

2. christine

arghhh! my husband keeps the house at 62 when we are at work. it is freezing. which uses more energy to reheat it up to the 68 that i like it at, right?

3. mary

i keep my house at 50 while im at work all day- i see no reason to heat a house that i am not in. when i get home i turn it up to 64- takes about 15 minutes to get to 64- and its comfotable , we have 2 zone heat- and while our bedrooms are upstairs there’s no reason to heat the first floor so that goes down to about 52-54 . bedrooms i keep at around 60-62 and under a blanket thats fine! 2 zone heats saves a bunch – even if ya like it warmer than myself.

4. Shawn

I’m from the tropical so I like to keep my house to be between 71 to 74 , I understand saving money is important, but if I keep my house at 66 to 69 the way most people do, I won be able to get out from underneath my blanket.

5. DJ

Yuck, my parents used to keep the temperature at a constant 73 degrees Fahrenheit but for the longest they have been putting it to 74*F . which is too warm.

6. DJ

7. andrea

We live in Texas, where its still warm in November. My Grandmother who is 79 wants us to put the heater on when its already 76 degrees in the house.

8. Jessica

I keep my temperature between 71-74 depends on how cold it is outside. I’m in Florida so it doesn’t snow or anything but I’m the type that is always cold no matter what. Some may keep it 68-70. I don’t know many that will go below 65 in Winter.

9. peter

1 set during day at 65 at 5 pm i put it up to 70 and let i fall back to 65 i do this until i go to bed than set at 67.heat will kick on more at low temp if you let furi.get to cool my home is warm and my boiler will only run every 50 min for 7 min to maintain temp.i try to let boiler run only 5 hour a day if you burn 1/2 gal. per hour this is 2.5 gal a day i avg 3.2 gal a day at $3.39 a gal this isavg 11=12 dollars a day this 360 amonth during winter for year 1 use 560 gal a year total$ avg # 2,0000 to 2,4oo a year avg.$200.00 a month

10. carolyn

My husband considers the heat on at 62 degrees. He gripes constantly about how much it costs to heat the house and most of the time this winter he has just not let us put it on at all.