design_keyboardanim20070208.gifFor the past month or so, my MacBook Pro’s keyword has been acting very funky. The S, W, X, 2, tab, esc and some other keys simply don’t always work (they work sometimes but mostly not) when pressed.

Now this only happens when on the laptop’s keyboard. It works fine when I use my external Apple keyboard at my office.

I cannot express how annoying it is to type without having those keys functioning. Guess how I am able to type those keys? I surf to a web site, and use the copy and paste function. So if I need an S, I find an S on a web site, highlight it, copy it, and then paste it into the place I need it. Very very very annoying.

At first I thought it was a bug related to Bug ID# 4333743 but Apple released a software update that was supposed to fix the issue. It did not fix my issue.

I called Apple today, and they recommended that I replace the keyboard. I said, I can’t be without my computer for a week. So I called the local Apple store and they said they can replace it while I wait. I am not waiting for them to call me back with a time when they will have all the parts and man power on hand for this replacement to happen.

For some reason, I don’t think it is a hardware issue. I have a feeling that they will replace the keyboard and it still won’t work. I will keep you all updated, like you care.. 😉

1. APPLE

GREAT WAY TO START THE NEW YEAR

AND WE DO CARE
    PLEASE SHARE

apple has great customer service so i think u will be HAPPY

2. Cathlyn Driscoll

Barry,
    Sorry to hear about your keyboard.
    Insert caring smile here :)
    As someone looking to purchase a new Macbook Pro this year, these posts are very telling.
    Keep us up to date with your status.
    Thanks.

Cathlyn**

3. richard

ahhhh I feel your pain. 6, y, = and / keys intermittently stop working on my Macbook Pro. It may be heat related. Of course, using the Keyboard Viewer is a much better solution than cutting and pasting letters from a web page! You can hit tab and esc that way.

it’s two months out of warranty and I’m wondering how much it is going to cost to fix. yourself?

4. Jon

Jon

5. Hans

I have a MacBookPro 15″ (first series) and the keyboard works perfectly …

I recently purchased a 17″ MacBookPro (Core2Duo) and it shows the same problems you have. I feel that I have to press the keys harder than with my 15″ …

Any news on the Apple help?

6. Nionix

Yeah… my “d” key doesn’t work I use the same copy/paste method.

Except mine is broken because my friend spilled rum and coke all over it.

7. Cristina

>>I too have a macbook pro about thre months out of warranty. Both cooling fans have stopped working, my battery is swelling, and now my keyboard is acting very funny. Keys either don’t work or they do other things. The space bar will suddenly highlight everything and then erase everything. Apple will replace the battery under a low key “recall” but the other issues are mine to deal with.
    Jon

I have the same problem! Did you ever get it fixed if so, how?

8. Gormark

On my MacBook Pro, the “central divider line” keys died – B, G, T. 5 and F5/F6. Same thing – they will work once in a blue moon, but for the most part just sit there. I discovered that they work better if the MBP is elevated so it’s cooled from below instead of sitting on a surface, so I think it has to do with Apple’s infamous overheating (will they ever solve that problem??) that starts causing problems starting with day 91 and above.
    Apple, as everyone knows, has a TERRIBLE customer support full of snobby, arrogant, impatient and not at all savvy “techies,” so I guess I’ll just send this one for repair and never buy another Apple portable again. Oddly, their desktops have always been so great and, in fact, attracted me to start using Apple at all, back in ’92, but their portables have always been complete garbage and useless crap.

9. gram

I have a Macbook, less than two months old, and the mystery highlight/erase thing happens all the time. This machine is the biggest computer disappointment I have ever had! (Just now, It took three hits of the space bar before I could type that exclamation point!) The cursor kept bouncing to the top of the page. AND the cursor “magically” jumped to the line above. For a long time, I thought it was something I was doing. Frustrating, along with many other things that make me sorry I bought it. I read way, way too many “wrongs” with these things.

10. june McKown

I came out tonite hearing a loud thumping noise and it was coming from my macbook pro. I had put photos on the web and was reading e-mail then I went to edit a word doc and the cursor took off on its own and I couldn’t stop it. It kept jumping lines erasing everything as it went. I restarted several times but the cursor problem persists at least in word. Help….

11. Mor

i think i have a double whammy, i have a first generation MBP 15″ and at first it was dropping a few keys here and there, the problem gradually got worse, until one day the entire keyboard and trackpad gave out in mid project. now this happens within ten minutes of operating my MB every time i turn it on, i have to use usb externals for both which leaves me with no usb ports for my flash drive. i guess that would make it a triple whammy very frustrating and disapointing, especially since i came down with this disease just as my warrentee ended.
    just thought i’d share. if anyone has a sollution, please let me know.

12. Meg

Yeah I have a macbook pro and I’ve had the same issue, but it’s with the 8 i k l , and shift buttons.

I took it into the apple store today, and they are giving it a ‘zap’ as they so delightfully put it, apparently it will work then.

13. Aimee

I too am facing this problem. My 5, t, g, and b keys work intermitenly. I made an appt at he apple store this afternoon. What are the costs related with this repair?

14. thom

ive got an ordinary macbook, and have the same problem, it started the first time i used it out of the box! the ‘y’ ‘d’ ‘s’ and ‘6’ keys randomly dont work sometimes, and you have to go back through what youve written and fill in the gaps! i thought it was a simple case of ‘download the updates’ but this didnt work, apple suggested replacing m mac, but its a fair bit off hastle after installing everything.. and i cant be without m(<-- see!) mac!

15. Name Example

My 17″ MBP with LED backlit screen (1920×1200) works beautifully. As a Self Employed software developer I know a few tricks to hunt problems.

I’ve had far fewer troubles with the Mac OS and Mac Hardware than any version of Windows or Linux, or any other PC manufacturer.

That said, with so many being built, there are bound to be people with real problems.

First trick: Create a new account and see if the problem is a problem there. If your keys all work in a new account, then it’s definitely software… otherwise it’s hardware/firmware.

Create a new account: Apple Menu/System Preferences/Accounts. Click the lock at the bottom if it’s locked, then click the “+” at the bottom to add a new account. Set it to Administrative. Log out, then log in as the new user. When your done, log in as the old user, and use the “-” in Accounts to remove the test account.

16. ChImp

I had my Macbook Pro for a year and a half. I started noticing keyboard issues about two weeks ago. They are not sticking or permanently failing, but have a non-responsive issue that seems to be traveling from one key to another. It was Delete first, then O, then A and today, the Spacebar. The previously affected keys are now fine. As you can see here, the Spacebar still works, but requires a double-thumb press each time. I guess I’ll try compressed air first,in case it is something stuck. If not, I guess I’ll be in line for a Genius’ help too.

17. melvin

my key board have of it works and the other have dosnot work how much dos a key board Cos and its a mac book pro 15” and i have no warranty so i’m going 2 have 2 hit my pockets up

18. a guy

if it helps anyone.. this is my story with my macpro keyboard randomly working…..when it wants to..

I accidently used too much windex on my monitor, keyboard and trackpad (i know…) and messed up about 15 keys, few days later the trackpad was not working. So i went to macmall for a new keyboard. cost around $190 to replaced, worked fine for a while and after a few days a couple of keys didn’t work, around 7 or so. Took it in to be replaced again (thought they installed wrong). When i got home that day a few minutes later those same 7 keys were not working. Went back again.. was told to restore computer, didn’t have a restore disk, was told you can restore it with us for $60 or upgrade to leapord for about $115. Bought leopard and decided not to open leopard which i had no need for (just wanted my mac working) and was undecided if restoring the computer will actually work, since they keys didn’t seem to work in startup modes(command s), my only hope was when I made the mac go to sleep i was able to push those same 7 keys and woke up the computer I realize the 7 keys were responding.

soooo…i thought it’s not worth opening leopard. I was about to sell my mac on craiglist and buy an imac. A friend told me that they didn’t install it right and the key seemed bend..

so long story short, I FIXED THE PROBLEM by putting light pressure on the trackpad, seems the keyboard and trackpad are conected to each other. I know it’s weird..

and i know there’s many who have made the same mistake of over cleaning you might have the same problem.

***i was told crazy stories like i have to replace the motherboard, because the keyboard had been replaced twice.

when it was randomly working it was because i was using the trackpad to open certain programs, when pressure was put on it, it WORDED.

now i have to replaced it, or open it up and clean it up. But I don’t really use it. Also if it works and i put pressure on it the keys will stop working. Like a turn on and off button. Meanwhile I’m using a mouse and works flawless.

maybe this helped someone, you know who you are.

and no this problem didn’t happen when leopard was install, im using tiger. Restoring the computer with leopard was my last option.

peace

19. a guy

maybe this helped someone, you know who you are.

peace

20. René Holdert

I bought my Macbook Pro 15″ (OSX 10.5.5) last August and I have the same problems. In the beginning I thought it had to do with my way of typing. But now I’m sure it is a hardware defect. The external keyboard works perfecly. I’m afraid the Macbook Pro has a lousy bad internal keyboard. It is not just one or two keys that fail, almost all keys might sometimes fail. In random order. The Mac customer service says ‘they can’t find anything wrong’. They are just side-stepping, shame on them! It is interesting to know that the latest Macbook Pro (release september) has a new type of keyboard…Isn’t that a coincidence?

21. Sesh

I have the same problem as mentioned. My divider line keys -t/g/b – they do not work properly. (I had to type these lines 2-3 times to get it correct!). As much as I like macs, I am also frustrated as they are too delicate with respect to the hardware (my opinion, others might vary) unlike the other laptops. I know it is not a software issues as I have a dual boot with Vista using the Bootcamp and the keyboard has an issue in the Vista also. I am going to the apple store today and let me see what happens. (my mac is not even 2 months old). I prefer they replace the keyboard and not “Zap” as one you had mentioned – that is not going o solve the problem!! I will keep my experience posted. My 2 cent take – Any one who gives sturdiness and reliability importance might as well shop around for other brands before settling on Apple – this is my opinion, other might differ. Its even frustrating pressing the keys again and again till they take my keys!!! strokes.

22. Steve

My MBP keyboard was replaced under warranty when the “P” key stopped working. Now it’s about a little over an year since the replacement and my “equal” key is not working (as a heavy excel user I’m screwed). Going to call apple tomorrow and beg for another replacement even though it’s outside warranty. Obviously they have some hardware issues.

23. Justin Pelletier

Hey All, I have the same crappy issue. But, i went ot the mac store and complained they told me 12 days for a keyboard replacement, so when i heard this i got pissed.

I bought applce pro care 99 dollars, best thing inthe world, i had a new top case wiht in 30 minutes…

24. Laurel

Same problem. First my 8 now my o. Intermittent and frustrating. I have been just typing through it and running spell check to fix the errors.

This summer, when I can be without the computer for a bit, I will take it to the Apple Store.

25. Shannon

I’m responding to this a little late, but I’m also experiencing this issue. I have a Macbook pro I bought in August of ’07. No problems until about a week ago. My keyboard was a little gunky, so I was sort of cleaning between the keys with a clean paintbrush, when all of a sudden the question mark key stopped working. Rebooting didn’t work, and when I popped the key off to check it out everything seemed fine. The next day when I restarted the computer, I found that if I hit the shift key on the left side and tried to make a capital Y, nothing happened. For me it’s constant though, not intermittent. I’m getting it looked at this weekend.

26. Josh

I’ve had a macbook pro since July of 08, and don’t plan on ever going back to pc. I too was a little frustrated when my Y key stopped working. When I removed the key everything looked fine underneath. after a little cleaning under the two clear plastic layers to the receptor. my Y key is working like new. there was a collection of dust and other stuff blocking the connection between the button and the receptor. I would suggest a great deal of caution and care. This is just a suggestion I don’t expect this to work for everyone.

27. Dave

About 3 months ago my tab key got hard to press. It eventually just broke off. Now my quote key is starting to do the same thing. I think it’s just a cheap keyboard. It’s a MacBook Pro 17″. Over $4,000 and now I have to replace the keyboard on a Mac that is only 18 months old? I’ve already replaced the battery after it swelled up and stopped working. This is NOT what I expect from high-end Apple.

28. danielle

i am wondering what is the best solution to this problem? i have had my macbook for 8 mo and my comma doesnt work!

please just tell me what to do i am a student and i need my comma to work i am also not technology smart so i neeed a solution from someone!

29. mike

No offense to you guys but do any of you dippy mac guys ever have an answer for anything?

30. nobody

i do computer programming, and my tab key has just started becoming hard to use

oddly the ` was acting funny a few days ago and is now back to normal

the tab key feels like something is broken. maybe it will heal by itself.

i think i’m out of warranty on this 4 month old laptop .. can’t really afford $80 for the new keyboard, sheeh, what a piece of cr*p (however in most respects this is a very nice laptop)

31. Kevin

I.dropped.a.stapler.on.my.touchpad.leaving.an.indent.
    Since.then,my.Spacebar.,Tab.,and.Delete.keys.do.not.work.

I.guess.i.should.replace.the.touchpad.Anybody,know?

32. Someone

Heh my Macbook Pro 15″ is less than a year old and ever since I bought it I’ve noticed the keyboard issues. The best keys stick for me: Shift, Alt, Control, Caps Lock and Tab. Just now my Control key got stuck and refused to unstick until I restarted the computer. My W gets stuck sometimes too. Macbooks are really faulty with their sticky keyboards, overheating and bad cd drives. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone -_-

33. Felix

I have the same problem with my 4th Gen 15 inch Macbook pro. I bought my mac in June 20 2008 and everything began to work fine. Then when I return back to collage in fall 08, my machine began to have keyboard issues. 50% chance that the entire row of Keys (asdfghjkl) will not work. This is pissing me off big time. I even took the god dam machine to the apple store in Soho and the Genius guy said that I’m not the only person who has that problem. He fix it in April 08 2 months later I get the same keyboard problem but this time its not only the a,s,d,f,g,h,j,k,l, Also my numbers wont work. I took the machine last week to the apple store and Again that Same Genius guy told me that my Mcbook pro is out of warranty since June-09.

Can some one help me out here.
    Thanks.

34. desiree Royer

Hey guys I hve mcbook pro 15inch s u cn see my key is not working nd the w key orks hen it nts tooo. I hve three yer srenty they better fix this or some one is going to her my mouth!

35. Phil

I fixed my problem with 8, i, j, “,” etc by applying firm pressure on the track pad as suggested above. Works now. Weird.

36. Randal

I have been having the same trouble. Apple Store replaced the keyboard.
    While at the store the tech had to adjust the ribbon cable behind the battery to get it to work. When I got home the issue returned. I decided to see if I could fix it myself. I folded a piece of notebook paper, about 4 by 6 rectangle, into about a 1 inch square. I placed it under the battery and on top of the ribbon cable connector. It applies just a little pressure on the connector when the battery is snapped in place. My keyboard works perfect when I do this. When I take the paper pad out, the keyboard starts acting up again. This is not the best fix but it works! Apparently the connector or the board it is on is bad. Hope this helps someone else.

37. Randal

Just returned from Apple Store. Since the keyboard did not fix the problem they are going to install a new upper case. No charge! Of course I did buy a keyboard. Thank You Apple. No wonder they have such a good customer rating. They have been very helpful. I recommend everyone that is close enough to an Apple Store go check it out.
    I will let you know how it goes.

38. one that knows

macs and mac os sucks!
    i’ve moved to windows vista and i recommend you all do
    mac is a very sufisticated and lubricated economic model
    its a fraud basically
    a monopoly that only makes things harder and more expansive.
    the ppl who work around it are exquisit cheaters.
    i was led for 15 years. now its out the window for mac.
    hopes this saves even one lost soul…

39. Randal

Got my call from the Apple store today. The upper case came in. I took my MBP to them and they had it fixed in a couple of hours. All the keys are working great.

40. Monet

My trackpad died – so I ordered a new top case off of ebay. Installing it was pretty easy. Once I had my 15″ Macbook Pro back together, the 8, i, k, comma and enter keys didn’t work. I thought maybe I didn’t have the keyboard data cable connected all the way.

Beneath the battery is where the keyboard data cable connects to the laptop. I removed the battery and the plastic covering that covers the data cable connection. I flipped up the lock thingy on it, removed the data cable, slid the data cable back in, locked it, put the plastic covering back over it, replaced the battery and the keys were all working again.

If you have keys in a row or moving down the keyboard diagonally – it could be that the data cable is loose. Especially if you remove the battery now and then.

Wonderhowto.com has a 17″ keyboard removal video that shows where the data cable is beneath the battery, how to flip up lock, etc. This part is 5 minutes into the video.

41. adil

Hi,

I cannot log into my macbook as the keys 3EDC dont work? I have had the laptop 2 years and this is the 1st problem? has anyone else experienced this?

42. tommy g

I have a MacBook Pro. I did an update and at the conclusion it said to restart the computer. When I restarted, it wouldn’t power up and I’m left with a grey screen with an apple in the middle. Any suggestions? Thanks.

43. craquehore

Had the same problem. Namely with the 8, i, k, comma and enter keys. Read above where someone had put light pressure on the trackpad and fixed it. Figured I’d give it a try, and amazingly it worked!!! I pressed the palm of my hand on the trackpad and pushed down with slight force for about 5-10 second. Low-and-behold, the keys now work!!! Give it a try! Hope this help some of you!

44. Ben Stewart

When my keys quit working, I searched and searched for an app that would allow me to CREATE other KEY COMBINATIONS/Shortcuts….that would be automatically recognized and converted into the character I needed…on screen, instantly. So, for instance, my “Z” key doesnt work…and I wanted to be able to type (for instance) command-x, and it type a Z for me.

AFTER TONS of searching, I finally found an app that does JUST THAT. It allows you, in fact, to create shortcuts and key-combos OF YOUR CHOICE to do ANYTHING, including create other keystrokes (not just commands and menu options…you can literally make it do anything with anything).

TYPINATOR, from Ergonis Software. http://www.ergonis.com/products/typinator

would have LOVED to have someone turn me on to it earlier…so hopefully this post will do that for someone else!

45. paul

When I click on a form the computer highlights the whole box. Also when I push on the volume keys it doesn’t do anything. I have to push the function key to make it work, function plus the volume key. Any suggestions how to get this back to normal.

46. ekke

i just lost function of my spacebar backspace tab and arrow keys. This is how much i figured so far. i dont think its due to overheating. im using a mbp unibody about 4 months old. its my second one. ill keep bugging applecare with every single issue for revenge. however…im writing my thesis atm so its pretty annoying.Plus i just exchanged a faulty ram about 2 weeks ago. im wondering what else will break. quite disappointing!

47. Commandrea

Monet-
    You are my HERO!
    Your solution that the problem lie under the battery helped me solve my problem. I didn’t have the use of the 8,i,k, comma, or arrow keys. I took out the battery pressed lightly on the little wires under plastic film (without removing the plastic) et voila!! Ks, Is, 8s, ,,,, everything is working again so MERCI MONET!! So simple!

48. Andrea

Monet’s suggestion to remove the battery and press on the data connectors fixed my problem with my K, 8, I, comma keys not responding! Thanks Monet!!

49. Mary

same here, only with the “q” “a” “z” “1” and delete keys… (whew! took me forever to copy nd pste those letters!)

someone help!! not sure if i hve w wrrnty to replce them!!

heellppppp

50. Darren Kelly

@shannon Very similar experience to. Typing this on an external keyboard.

MBP 17″ out of warranty. I have trouble since weeks now with the ‘y’ key nearly always (although sometimes pressing 6 or 7 times works), and more recently with the ‘/’ (shift ‘?’) key, just as others here have reported.

Am very disappointed. I spoke to my local Apple store, they are talking about 1 week just to assess the problem, or for a significant fee I can jump the support queue and get 24 hour diagnosis. Am told replacing in-built keyboard could cost significant portion of the original price of the machine, which is absolutely outrageous.

I work (earn money with) my MBP 17″ daily, and can’t afford weeks or even days to get this fixed.

I spent the extra money an a top-range Apple machine hoping to avoid these problems and feel quite betrayed.

Concerning heat: I use a very nice aluminium heat-sink stand to keep my machine a bit cooler. It is an interesting idea that perhaps heat provokes this problem, because I use my machine a lot, much as one might use desktop machine. However I need also the portability of the MBP, however now I have to take another keyboard with me.

Having broken keys is dangerous for my work. I re-read some emails had found that in some cases the word “your” can become “our”, in other words the missing ‘y’ has legal ramifications, too, which could also cost a lot of money.

To Apple: not happy, it is not good enough, and your customers spending top money on top machines deserve better, much better.
    Your customers deserve free replacements and free servicing, or even a recall with compensation.

This is clearly a reproducible problem, and it is no accident that so many people are having problems with the same keys. It is clearly poor design, poor systems engineering {(w.r.t. operational environment) and poor testing. Not good enough for a machine that costs a few times more than other laptops.

51. Marina M

I could fix the problem just pressing the space tab for a while, it was 3 months that my O-L-9-) keys weren’t working!!! Just tried and it works now !! Don’t want to know the reason why, but the fact is that it works again!!!

52. stephen

Have similar issue on mY fairly recent MBP, but with other keys, as yoU can see. At the local Apple store they claimed to have seen this problem for the first time… Unfortunaltely this is the third time I have a similar probleM – with My third MBP pro. ActUally i am getting a dell precision 6600 now. pricier yes, heavier too buT the pro is not in the namE but in the system. apple has nice design but unsolved engineering problems. @ apple – design is important, buT for people who use this actually to work it’s a no-no.

1. logic board failURe on first Mbp
    2. logic board failURe on second Mbp
    3. keyboard errors on this one here. either shift doesnt work, and now certain letters are capital as per defaUlt. and the keyboard layoUT keeps changing randoMly.

53. Neale L

i was having all of the problems mentioned at various times on my MacbookPro 17″ (i use it in a professional environment), my trackpad and button were doing strange things like typing randomly, button not working like something was jamming it and selecting random text, i removed the battery and hooked up the power lead then everything was fixed.
    on closer inspection i found the battery was bulging so much it would lay flat on a bench top, thats where my heat problems were coming from as well.

i replaced the battery now it works fine again, funny enough my machine was just out of warranty! maybe thats all we can expect from the MacBook Batteries?

54. Mahina

i’ve had my macbook pro since the end of April 2010. I’ve not had a bit of trouble… until this past week…. half the time my f, g, h, j, k, l keys do not work! it is almost impossible at times to get them to work… my spouse looked up here on the internet, we ran hardware scans, and can’t find anything wrong… I of course had the whole applecare thing the first year, but didn’t keep it up…. this is the first ‘real’ issue i’ve had with it… the other was a charging cable (the box) getting hot, and the spot where you magnetic plug to the laptop was frayed. They replaced it free of charge. This was about 2 weeks ago. They ran a basic hardware scan there too (I’m not sure why) it came up clear…. any suggestions? I can’t get to apple until the weekend…. I’m a grad student, I can’t be with this laptop…