diaperI have been tactfully avoiding the diaper change for about ten-days now. But this morning that all changed when my wife seemed dead tired and begged me to change the baby’s diaper. I felt bad and guilty, so I did it, I changed the kid’s diaper.

I was hoping to be one of those dads that don’t change diapers. Well, maybe I will now be one of those dads that rarely change diapers.

The process wasn’t bad. Here is how it went:

1. Grab kid in one arm
  2. Set up materials using other arm
  3. Place kid down on changing table
  4. Remove kid’s bottom cloths
  5. Slowly take off spoiled diaper, while leaving bottom half on.
  6. Clean area with baby wipes
  7. Slide diaper off completely
  8. Slide new diaper on asap
  9. Make sure everything is clean
  10. Put on A&D ointment
  11. Secure new diaper and flare out parts around legs
  12. Put back on cloths
  13. Throw trash away
  14. Return kid to mom
  15. Go to work

Now, it was only a good process because our kid is typically (so far) calm and happy when we change her. Very grateful for that.

Now, if I can only master changing a diaper and using my iPhone at the same time, then I would be set.

FYI, click through on that picture – it is pretty funny stuff.

1. Leon Schwartz

Congratulations!
    Now you are a real man.
    I just love your breakdown of the process. Maybe I will include a Process Flow chart of the process in my lecture.

Remember, girls are much easier to change than boys…..

2. Olivier Amar

Woohoooo Way to go.

Just one tip, before you slip off the soiled diaper, you maybe might want to slide a clean diaper underneath. Babies will find a way to pee in between the diaper switch so sliding it under before you slide it off is your security.

Mazal Tov again Barry. Welcome to the real world!

Olivier.

3. Tamar Weinberg

sheesh, I can’t believe you waited 10 days before you changed the diaper! Brian changed the baby’s diaper in the hospital.

I’ve never changed a diaper myself in my entire life till my kid was born and it’s really not as bad as I feared either.

Oh, and my kid hates being changed.

4. Adam Snider

Every father hopes he will be the type of father who never changes diapers, but the wife will always make sure that he has to change at least a few.

Like Leon said, girls are easier to change than boys. With girls, you don’t have to worry about “the firehose,” to use an appropriate euphemism.

5. Steve Fox

At a restaurant everyone was busy so I took my 5 year old nephew to the restroom. He went into the stall and the door wouldn’t shut so I told him how to slide and lock it. When he was done I heard the door go thump thump thump. He couldn’t slide the lock back and was trapped. Thankfully he hadn’t locked it to tight and a hard shake undid it.

Steve

6. Sunsurfr

Glad you like the pic. I appreciate you sharing it with your folks. Congrats on changing your first diaper. I haven’t found an iphone app that will do it, but if you do, let me know :)